A bowl of this delicious Hungarian Chicken Vegetable Noodle Soup is enough to revive any worn out spirit and tired body.
1 whole chicken (3 ½ to 4 ½ lbs.)
10 cups chicken stock
1 large onion, chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
4 parsnips, thinly sliced
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 ½ cups chopped green cabbage
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
1 cup uncooked fine egg noodles
1. Place the chicken in a large pot. Pour the stock over the chicken; add water, if needed, so the chicken is completely covered with liquid. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is tender.
2. Remove the chicken from the pot and refrigerate overnight. Also refrigerate the pan, with the liquid still in it. The next day, skim the fat off the top of the stock.
3. Remove the meat from the chicken and shred into pieces with two forks. Add the chicken meat to the stock.
4. Add the onion, green onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, zucchini, cabbage, tomatoes, parsley, dill, pepper, and paprika. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and partially cover. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are just tender. Add the noodles and cook until they are tender.