Roast turkey and roast chicken are traditionally on the menu come Christmastime and holiday feasts, but if you desire something more than the usual, consider making this special recipe for stuffed goose.
3 1/2 oz. fowl foie (fowl liver)
0.44 lbs. pork
3 1/2 oz. sausage meat
1.8 oz. prunes
3 1/2 oz. chestnuts
0.44 lbs. chicken breasts
1.8 oz. dried bread soaked in milk
1. To prepare the stuffing, chop the pork, sausage meat, prunes, chestnuts, chicken breasts, and soaked bread into small cubes. Place everything in a big bowl and stir well with a wooden spoon. Incorporate the eggs, one after another and blend until evenly distributed.
2. Season the fowl on the inside with salt and pepper. Fill with the stuffing. Tie the bird up and close the opening. Prick skin of legs and thighs.
3. Cook in a 390 degree F. oven for about 30 minutes.
4. Continue cooking at 302 degrees F for 2 1/2 hours, regularly spooning juices onto the goose.
5. Turn off the oven and allow the goose to rest in the oven for another 30 minutes.
6. In a saucepan, reduce the goose drippings with port wine. Serve goose on a platter with port wine sauce on the side.